This seems to be an appropriate topic today, since the DOT unveiled their new slogan for tourism.
Sometimes I wonder if I really, honestly, truly, sincerely, whole-heartedly love the Philippines. If all my family members and friends move to, say, Australia, and hence I move too, will I still miss Pinas? Will I still feel like I'm not "home", when I suspect my definition of the Philippines being home is only because the people to whom my heart belongs live here (whether by choice or otherwise)?
Something to think about. Because I notice that when thinking about what I love about the Philippines, the answers I mostly come up with have to do with the people I love. There are barely other reasons. Unlike people from other countries like my cousins from Canada who have country-loving reasons beyond their families. They love their systems, they love their way of life, etc...
So, you, do you really love the Philippines? Love it enough to still stay?
And don't say, you cannot separate the Philippines from your loved ones because that just doesn't make any sense.(Haha! Defensive?!) Ask yourself the question I posed above. :)
3 comments:
I will be honest and say that I love it because it is home to my family and friends. But having been in another country for some time (around 6-months), made me think.
I know every country has both good things and bad things. But really some things about the Philippines are just so dismal, I don't want to go back home anymore.
I love it because my family and friends are there. I love it because there are still very nice places to see, food to eat, etc. But I hate it when the very people who claim to love it, destroy the beauty of the country instead of try to preserve it and / or improve it.
This is my honest to goodness POV.
I love it enough to stay :) and enough to give birth here when I had the chance to give birth in the US.
I lived in another country exclusively for five years of my life and considered that home for a total of 15. Family and friends are what makes a place home to us, that we can't deny. Jakarta was home when my family was there and when most of my friends were still there. Now that they're not there, it's becoming less and less like home and more like a province I love to visit. The one thing I learnt about living there though and being friends with all these kids from other nationalities is that there's always something to be proud about your home country. Whether it's the destination, the language, the food, the people - there's always something there no matter how shitty it seems sometimes. We shared these things with each other, and in the end gave us a bigger appreciation for who we were and were we really came from.
The reasons why I love it here has more to do with how people deal with each other, how kids are brought up and the old-school values taught by families, our traditions. I feel like the ties here are stronger, and that's something that I always miss in other countries. :)
I feel like things are ok here, eventhough they can get better. I also am well aware that I can say that because we can provide well for our family, but that's probably not the case for those who aren't so lucky. :p
Don't get me wrong though, if there's a chance for us to move some place else (only within SEA though) for a couple of years, I'm going to take it. There's nothing like that kind of experience and I want that for Tala, esp when she's a little bit older. That's a different kind of eye-opener and makes you more appreciative of the world and its people in general and affects the way you think, no matter how long ago it has been. But I will always come home :)
Well-said, both Kaye and Didi :) I guess it really depends on the perspective, as well as your background and the way you were brought up. I guess since I wasn't raised in a Filipino household, I feel a bit differently compared to you guys too (and to many other people).
Post a Comment