Monday, June 23, 2014

First immunology treatment

So I just did the first of hopefully only 2 LIT sessions last Sat. The nurse came over at 6am as agreed and extracted 10 vials of blood from a sleepy, groggy Dennis. I'm a bit nervous at this point because I had forgotten to tell Dennis to abstain from alcohol the night before, and he had gone out with friends Friday night and of course had several rounds of scotch. After researching online, I found out that alcohol is counter-indicated because it tends to lower white blood cell count and tends to water down blood - both not good effects we want on our LIT day. 

Oh well. Guess my husband has tons of blood because when we got to Bloodworks at 10:30am, we found out that they were still able to extract the needed amount of white blood cells. 

So Dr Aleta injected me on the left arm, in 2 injection sites to spread the concentration of the "foreign bodies" for better absorption. It hurt a bit - like being stung by a bee - for about 10 seconds, then it burned.... And burned. 

She had to cover it with bandage to cover it from sunlight. 

So this is how it looks like with bandage -

This is how it looks without it. You'll see two very angry shot marks and the beginnings of a bad, itchy rash --


You also see the bruise on the inside of my elbow -- which I have on BOTH arms. Hideous, I know. But a necessary side effect of all the blood draws I need to get on a very frequent basis. 

So now it's been 2 days after the procedure and I'm happy to report I think I reacted sufficiently to the treatment. Hopefully this means it's working and I reach the required minimum 80% level after the second treatment. 

Wish me continued luck!

No comments: